A note from my amazing sister
The last 36 hours have been a reminder of how rough this treatment is. It was expected this would be the hard part for Becks, but it’s still a fight to stay calm when it becomes a reality. The staff and nurses at the hospital however are pretty amazing, and we are confident with Becks in their care.
To recap and expand on where we are in the treatment: Becks is currently in isolation for the second part of the process (the actual transplant), followed by a recovery period. With transplant day labelled as ‘Day 0’, here’s the outline of this stay:
Day -6: Admission, line inserted ready for chemotherapy
Day -5: to Day -2: Four days of chemo to wipe out the immune system
Day -1: Rest Day
Day 0: Transplant day to insert new stem cells (and Dad arrived, woo!)
Day 0-10/12: High risk period due to having a low blood count and no immune system, all precautions taken to avoid risk of infection. Expected that side effects hit from day 3 or 4. Body expected to strengthen from second week
Day 7-14: One in ten chance of an MS flare up for a week
Day 14-21: Discharge expected within this time depending on recovery
We have just started Day 7.
Becks has had the expected side effects – intermittent fever, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and mouth sores. This has meant a lot of lying with a few ice packs on her body and a paper bag always by her side. She has been given lots of medication to help subside the effects, and sedatives also. For a couple of days she couldn’t hold any food or liquid down, so would suck ice cubes when she could. She has started back on soft, bland foods since though.
The unexpected bumps – two nights ago she was running a fever and as part of this experienced convulsions. Then yesterday she was given a platelet transfusion (because her bloods were too low), but unfortunately had a reaction and experienced shortness of breath. From what we understand Becks had also contracted an infection of some sort (we’re still waiting for clarification around this), but they caught it early and put her on antibiotics and oxygen straight away. As I mentioned before, she’s being well looked after and closely monitored.
So, all in all, a predicted storm. However, we know that we’re supported by so many family and friends back home and around the world, as well as friends and the church we are connected to here in Singapore. Most of all we know we are in the hands of an almighty God, and he will not fail us.
Thank you for your continued love and support, it means so much to us!